Thursday, January 3, 2008

Day 3 - Depth of Field, Shutter Speed & Not Blowing Out the Sky

My daughters informed me today that I can take pictures of something other than them - and we're only on Day 3 of this adventure! They both had music lessons today so while they were busy in their voice and guitar lessons I was playing with my camera.

The first photos are of a fountain in the courtyard at my youngest daughter's school. I've seen examples of people taking shots of water at different shutter speeds so I decided to play with this. In order to get proper exposure I had to adjust ISO and/or aperture as well. I did get differing results and my conclusion is that I'll have to play with this some more when I have more time.
3Shots_of_a_fountain

While I was in the courtyard, I also opened my lens wide open and took a shot of a light fixture with the chapel building in the background just to check out the depth of field and bokeh.
IMG_2545
Date Taken: January 3, 2008
Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Exposure: 0.004 sec (1/250)
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 75 mm
ISO Speed: 800
Flash: No Flash

I always seem to have a problem blowing out the sky or not exposing the foreground object correctly so I played a bit with that too. I metered off the sky and used some fill flash to expose the tree in this one. I'll have to try this with people but I like how this one turned out anyway.
IMG_2536
Date Taken: January 3, 2008
Camera: Canon EOS 40D
Lens: Tamron 28-75 f2.8
Exposure: 0.006 sec (1/160)
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Length: 28 mm
ISO Speed: 200
Flash: Flash fired / FEC -1

No comments: